Information for neighbours and related parties

This information helps neighbours and/ or other stakeholders of community housing properties determine the most appropriate avenue to progress a complaint or dispute. This information relates specifically to community housing properties managed by a community housing provider registered under the National Regulatory System for Community Housing (NRSCH).

This information does not apply to other forms of rental accommodation such as public (government managed) or private rental accommodation, as these are dealt with under different regulatory frameworks.

The role of the Registrar

The role of the Registrar is to monitor housing provider compliance with the Community Housing Providers National Law (the National Law).

Registrars have no direct role in mediating or resolving neighbourhood disputes or in matters which fall outside of the NRSCH. They do not have a general power to investigate complaints by neighbours of properties managed by registered housing providers unless these complaints raise issues about the providers’ compliance with the National Law. Registrars’ offices may however be able to provide assistance in identifying if a property that is subject to a potential complaint is in fact a community housing property and in identifying the most appropriate avenues for progressing the complaint.

The role of registered housing providers

Housing providers are responsible for handling neighbourhood or third-party complaints relating to community housing properties. Housing providers are required to have a mechanism in place for dealing with complaints as well as providing information and guidance on how to raise complaints with them.

It is expected that once it is confirmed that the property is a community housing property, that complainants will raise their concerns directly with the housing provider responsible for managing that property. It is important for those making a complaint to keep written evidence of their concerns and any ongoing developments, in case the matter is not resolved.

Matters falling outside of community housing and the NRSCH

Disputes and complaints that fall outside of a housing provider’s tenancy and property management responsibilities may require the involvement of one or more of the agencies.

Examples of these types of issues include matters relating to:

  • private rental properties
  • public rental properties
  • properties managed by Local Council
  • fencing and boundary disputes
  • social amenity issues such as problem pets, pests, or health issues
  • anti-social behaviour.

Dependent upon circumstance, such matters will best be dealt with by either:

  • the relevant state or territory government agency responsible for managing tenancy issues, or
  • the relevant state or territory government tenancy review, or administrative review, body, or
  • the relevant state or territory government agency responsible for managing public housing, or
  • other government bodies and/or non-government agencies such as Local Council, Police, Legal Aid, or relevant tenant support and mediation agencies, which have a role, interest, or responsibility, in the moderation of neighbourhood disputes.
Last updated:

21 Jul 2022

Was this content useful?
We will use your rating to help improve the site.
Please don't include personal or financial information here
Please don't include personal or financial information here

We acknowledge Aboriginal people as the First Nations Peoples of NSW and pay our respects to Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the ongoing connection Aboriginal people have to this land and recognise Aboriginal people as the original custodians of this land.

Top Return to top of page Top